Skip to main content

Here we go ......




After more that a year, school rugby is starting up again and, while it’s going to be strange having no spectators, and sending the boys home immediately after their games goes against many of the social and educational points the game is supposed to be making, I guess we should be thankful, though.

And, on the Highveld it’s starting with quite a bang – Monument have resurrected their 100th Anniversary tournament after the original organisers pulled out at the 11th hour due, apparently, to sponsorship issues.

What followed in the social media underscored a point I’ve been trying to make for a while now. The Krugersdorp community rallied, just as they did earlier in the year when Monument’s fields were washed away in a flash flood, and all sorts of offers in cash and kind were made to save the festival.

I have no knowledge of what actually followed, but in a day or two it was announced that it was on again, with Blue Ribbon as a sponsor. Tjaart Van der Walt and Wynand Moolman, the rugby and marketing directors, it was posted, didn’t sleep for 72 hours, but they got it done – together with people who have the school and its children at heart.

That’s what I’ve been saying: leave the raising of the children to the community and keep the professionals out.

I’m one of the lucky ones – I’m playing the press card – who will be at Monnas this weekend to see the games. And there are some tasty clashes on the menu. Six of the teams on show would make the national Top 10 list in most years, and quite a few of the others would be knocking on the door.

The most interesting clashes will be late on Saturday – Paarl Boys’ High vs Welkom Gimnasium, Grey College vs Paarl Gimnasium and Monument vs HTS Drostdy. There are plenty of interesting matchups on the other days too.

The teams will, I guess, be a little undercooked – it’s their first hit-out after a long, long break – although I’d be surprised if they haven’t all had some full contact rugby on the quiet already.

It doesn’t matter. For me it’s going to be enough to see some of of our most famous school rugby jerseys in action on a field again.

And I'll be there. Here we go ……..

FIXTURES

Friday 23rd April

1pm EG Jansen vs HTS Drostdy, 2.30pm Menlo Park vs St John's, 4pm Garsfontein vs Nelspruit, 5.30pm Affies vs Noord Kaap.

Saturday 24th April

10am Milnerton vs Northcliff, 11.30am Pretoria Boys’ High vs Rustenburg, 1pm Outeniqua vs Noordheuwel, 2.30pm Helpmekaar vs Stellenberg, 4pm Paarl Boys High vs Welkom Gimnasium 5.30pm Grey College vs Paarl Gimnasium, 7pm Monument vs HTS Drostdy

Monday 26th April

10am St John’s vs Milnerton, 11.30pm Noord Kaap vs Nelspruit, 1pm Monument u-16A vs Paarl Boys' High, 4pm HTS Drostdy vs Ben Vorster 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Queen's unexpected win was the highlight of a great school rugby week

  My sporting highlight of the week? …. It’s been rugby all the way and I got excited for various reasons, on Thursday already, about the Muir College vs Parktown game at Grey High, knowing that it was likely to be eclipsed as the long weekend unfolded. Then, on Friday night the Lions beat the Pumas in the Currie Cup. It’s always a highlight for me when they win these days, and that they stopped the defending champions made it more special. But the real stars this week were aways going to be the schoolboys and weren’t there some cracking games? Hilton holding out against nearly 10 minutes of ferocious attack from Michaelhouse to win 20-17 and extend their unbeaten run in the Midlands derby; and Jeppe scoring two tries in the final minute to snatch a draw against Selborne when the game looked gone for them, were two of them. At the Wildekalwer Festival in Kimberley where the big guns were playing, things went pretty much as expected, with no upsets. The Grey College vs Garsfon...

It's rugby trials time, and I don't miss the cold

  My school sporting highlight of the week? It’s more a time of year, rather than an event, and I love it because of the memories it stirs: provincial rugby selection season. When the first chills of winter begin to bite, as they have this week, you know the Craven Week trials are on. I spent 10 years on those selection panels and the one consistent memory of those times is that it was bloody cold. On a typical U18 trials day the final game will kick off at around 5.30pm – sunset – and you’d have been on the side of the field in places like Alberton, or Krugersdorp, or, worst of all at UJ, deep in the valley and next to the Westdene Dam, all afternoon, steadily cooling down. We’d whinge, but I used to look forward to it all year, and from year to year.   It wasn’t easy. Trials are definitely not the best way to pick a team and, as the years passed, the task was made more difficult because racial quotas had to be met – it’s much worse now. And you’ll never please everyone...

Meeting old friends has been the highlight of the weekend

  My school sports highlight of the weekend? …. The rugby festivals, obviously.   Everything about them, really, but in particular, for me, seeing some familiar faces, men and women who have spent much of their lives in service of sport at schools. There are too many to list them all, but I know there will be no offence taken if I’ve left someone out. I spoke of the guys in the KES Festival office the other day, Derron van Eeden, Neil Darroch and Ian Sim – people with weighty jobs over the festival weekend – but always gracious and courteous in all their dealings with everyone. And while I was at KES I saw Tinus Diedericks, the Golden Lions Schools Rugby chairman, Brad Ireland and Ian Rickelton, long-termers at St David’s, Hans Coetzee – a rugby coaching legend in these parts, and from the school cricket world, Niels Momberg, who is commentating on SuperSport Schools. Down the road at St John’s, I had a word with Arnold Geerdts, who has been the announcer there for the last 15...